First Day Of 2010 Antlerless Season In 2D

Well, I made it home from college this weekend for the first day of antlerless season here in WMU 2D.

At about 10:00 I heard a sound to my right by the edge of the field where I was sitting. Turning my head I saw an antlerless deer skip back into the woods.

Later in the morning I hear a shot nearby. Soon I saw lone deer running in the field in front of me about 200 yards away. I cranked my scope magnification way up and brought my gun up. As I found the deer in the scope it turned and started running straight towards me. I saw that it was an anterless deer just as a roll in the field hid it from view. A few seconds later it reappeared about 50 yards away running fast right at me. My sight picture due to the high magnification became blurred, so realizing it would only get worse I fired. Then the deer started veering of to its right as I fired another poorly aimed shot. With the deer at about 20 yards now I realize the scope is not helping me any. So, I look through the see through scope mounts at my open sights, however, the deer now reaches the woods and I can not track it. I checked for blood and found none and looked around in the woods for awhile.  Nothing. Dispute the blurred sight picture I had really felt like the first shot I made was a good shot, but it seems it was not. The deer was coming straight on at me if I had hit it the bullet would have done a lot of damage traveling the length of the deer. So, I am sure I fully missed the deer.

A little before noon today I saw a group of three deer running about 800 yards away. Later this evening two of my brothers and I put on a drive in that area. My Father and other brother who were watching saw the three deer soon after we started the drive. My Father fired one shot instantly killing a mature doe. The other two deer, which must have been its fawns, ran off in. A short time later one of the deer returned and looked at the doe, which gave my brother, who was watching, a shot. He fired knocking the deer over. It stood itself up and stumbled off. My Father said that it looked like a solid hit. When my two other brothers and I arrived, however, we could not find and blood from the deer.  We searched for a couple hours trying to find that deer, but with only a partial snow on the ground we were only able to track it a short ways.

It was a busy day today. It has been awhile since I last saw this many deer during deer season. I had a great day–its to bad though that we were not able to recover that deer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *