The other day I broke in a new bullet mold. The first step was to clean out the cavities to remove any oil. I used rubbing alcohol and just rubbed around inside of each cavity.
Next I put soot in the cavities by burning a candle directly under neath each of them. This step is much easier without the handles installed. The reason for doing this is to help keep the bullets from sticking in the mold.
Finally, I lubricated the pins and hinge for the sprue cutter. I used anti-seize which is rated at 1600 degrees. The directions from Lee also says you could melt some beeswax into the pins.
Now is the time to install the handles. I’ve installed them first before and that makes sooting the mold much harder.